Friday, February 1, 2013

I'll Always Need My Mom

Isaiah 66:13: "As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you ..."


What a blessing it is to have a mom who loves me and cares about me!

My mother is absolutely wonderful.  Everyone says so (including me).  I have several friends going through rough times with their moms, which in a way is a blessing for me because it makes me keenly aware of the kindness and loving spirit that my mother carries.

Yesterday my mom came over to help me pack, because we're moving tomorrow!!  I really invited her in the first place to just spend some time with her, but she went to town.  When she got here, she pulled out about a hundred quarters and said she was going to do my laundry.  Then she asked what I needed packed, and I told her the kitchen was the biggest obstacle I had to face that day.  She took over that project!  What a lady.

All I had to do was label boxes, and let me tell you, I couldn't keep up with her!  When we ran out of boxes, she ran to the liquor store (great place to get sturdy boxes) to get some more, and told me to take a nap while the little Love Bug slept.  I can't tell you how much I needed my mom yesterday, and she left with the promise of coming back today with more boxes and to help me finish packing!

For those of you who are all grown up and have perhaps started your own families, don't discount what your mother can (and needs to) do for you still.  Those of you who are mothers of grown-ups, do little things to show that you still care.  We need you today just as much as we needed you when we were little - - but we might be reluctant to tell you.

Ideas of ways to bless your grown-up children:

  • Ask before you drop by, but do drop by
  • Recognize when we need help financially, and give us even as little as $5 to help out
  • Bake cookies and bring them to us
  • If you're far away, mail a care package or send a card
  • Call us!  - - Just to chat
  • Ask us questions about us - - not just about our kids
  • Tell us how proud you are of us - - and be specific
  • Hug us
  • Write down verses to share with us

1 John 3:18: "Let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth."


1 comment: