Tuesday, January 8, 2013

No Time for Devotions?

Boy, do I wish I had more time in the day!  Time to relax, time to sit down and read to my baby, time to do the dishes, time for devotions.

It's easy to feel like we have no time to do the things that are important to us - - especially with all the things around us that can distract.  Facebook, Pinterest, and sometimes even the blogs where we get our inspiration and our encouragement can be that way.  But we (and I'm mostly talking to myself right now) need to remember the importance of connecting with God daily.  This is the only way to truly renew our minds and spirits.

If you've visited my page before, you know how much I like detailed lists!  Here are some ideas I have for making sure that I connect with God on a daily basis:
  1. Same time every day - - It becomes a routine, and a habit, when I connect with the Lord at the same time every day.  Plus, as my son grows older, he'll come to expect mom to be unavailable at a certain time each day, helping me to really get the time that I need.
  2. Give the baby a distraction - - Whether it's a toy that only comes out once in a while, a TV show, or simply nap time, if the baby is distracted I know I can get some personal time.  And what better way to spend personal time than with the Lord?
  3. Go through a devotional book - - Devo books can be hard to find, especially when you're looking for one that will really speak to you on a personal level.  You want one that will call you back to it, not one that makes you feel like reading it is a chore.  I just ordered Pathway to Purpose for Women and the journal that accompanies it, and it came in the mail the other day.  I'll start it today - I have very high hopes!
  4. Have a routine for my time with the Lord - - Routines always help me... especially when I'm just starting an activity and I want to get the most out of it.  When I meet with the Lord, I want to (at least at first) know what I'm doing.  For instance, I might start by praying a prayer of thanksgiving and adoration.  Then I might read from a devotional, and then read the scripture verses directly out of my Bible so I can make notes.  I might journal about those verses, then end with a prayer of confession, thanksgiving, and supplication (ACTS - Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication - - helps us know how to pray - - and in what order).
Now go spend some time with Jesus!  You'll be glad you did!

 

Have another idea for me?  Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment