Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade Cleaners: Bottles

For the longest time I've been wanting to make my own homemade cleaners.  I started by buying a bottle of Lysol concentrated formula and just mixing it with water, but that really wasn't what I wanted.  I liked the idea of having a more organic, and cheaper, way to clean my home.  I finally found recipes that I wanted to try and bought the ingredients.  Today I got the bottles ready... because, for some reason, the look of the bottles was important to me!

Step 1: Buy Bottles

I wanted cute bottles... don't ask my why. :)  So I went to Target and bought 6 of the Method daily shower cleaners, because that was one recipe that wasn't included in the recipe list I was using (I'll share that tomorrow when I make the cleaners).  Plus they were on sale!  It was perfect.  Those bottles are so cute.
When I got home, I emptied 5 of the 6 bottles into a gallon jug (I had to use a second container for the last little bit) and I will refill that cleaner from the jog until it runs out.  When it's empty, I'll try another recipe that I found through Pinterest for daily shower cleaner.

Step 2: Make Goo Gone

The next step was to take those lables off of the bottles.  I had this recipe for homemade Goo Gone from the blog No. 2 Pencil for a while, and I figured this was the perfect time to try it!  All it takes is 1 part vegetable oil and 2 parts baking soda.  The oil breaks down the labels, and the abbrasiveness of the baking soda (plus its texture) scrapes them off.  It worked like a charm!

I added a tiny bit of essential oil (Lime) to it because I just love the smell of Goo Gone!


Step 3: Scrape off Labels

I lathered that Goo Gone onto the bottles and wiped off the lables.  I noticed that rubbing from side-to-side on the bottles, rather than up-and-down worked wonders.  I also noticed that the faster you peel off the lables, the less gunk there will be to scrape off.




The Method bottles were nice because they only had lables on three sides, and they were pretty easy to peel off!  They just left sticky gunk if you peeled them slowly.






I used a table knife to scrape with, but you could also just use a paper towel or your fingers.  I also put the bottles on an old cookie sheet to protect my table.



So, there you have it!  My bottles are ready for their cleaners to be added!  I'll do that tomorrow, since nap time is over.  Get your bottles ready and join me tomorrow in making some awesome cleaners!!


No comments:

Post a Comment