Friday, January 10, 2014

Lessons from 2013

About a year ago (at the turn of 2013), I posted what I had learned over the course of 2011-2012.  I was looking back on my posts from last January, just to see where I was a year ago.  It was so interesting to read about the lessons God had taught me in that time, which now seems so long ago.  My post from January 2013 made me want to write a similar one for this year: What I learned in 2013.


As I look back on my year, there is one theme that stands out in my mind: Community.  I have posted about this before, but it really was such a prevalent theme in my year, that it deserves a deeper look.

God has revealed to me three specific aspects of community in 2013 that I really don't want to forget.  The first is The Importance of Community.  If I were to be completely honest with myself (and those of you reading this post), I spend most of 2012 being lonely.  In fact, I have spend most of my life feeling lonely.  The longevity of my loneliness is probably the reason why I never really thought that there was anything else.  The importance of community never dawned on me until I truly experienced it.  When we moved to our current hometown, I was a little worried that we were moving further from family, but I was so excited to be near our church.  Even before we were here, God gave me a sense of peace that we would find new and long-lasting relationships when living closer to our church family.  That's exactly what our church became for us once we moved here: a family.  I can't imagine going back to the way things were before we were here.  Even on days when I don't see or talk to anyone but my kids and husband, I know that I have a support system here.  I know that there are people who genuinely care about me and who are really praying for me.

Photo taken by Kelley
That leads me to the second thing I learned in 2013: The Meaning of Having a Community.  It is one thing to go through the motions of church and not really get connected; it is something entirely different to experience the fellowship that church was designed to be, and to develop lasting relationships that make a difference in your life.  For me, having a community means that there are people whom I can ask for help (even though I'm not always good at that... I'm working on it!) when I'm in a tough spot.  It means that when I need prayer, there are people ready and so willing to pray for me.  Having a community means there are people to get out of the house with (or who will happily babysit my kids for me) when I get stir-crazy.  I have a support system that I know God is using to make me a better person.  Having a community sometimes means there will be people who call me out when I'm out of line.  They'll whip me back into shape so that I am being the best Elizabeth that I can be.  I am so grateful to have support systems in the forms of my small group, my accountability partner (which is someone I just paired up with this year - - and it's one of the best things I did in 2013!), the ministry I am part of at church, my neighbors, Facebook groups, MOPS, fellow staff members, and my family.

Photo taken by Tim



Photo from Jan's camera


Photo taken by Mark


Photo taken by Greg
The Meaning and Importance of Being Part of a Community is the third lesson that stands out to me from 2013.  I confess I am still working on this one (though, if I'm honest, I'm still working on all of these points).  As a part of the community, I have a responsibility to my friends.  It's not an obligation, though - - it's something I want to do as a member of the community.  I want to talk on the phone with these people, I want to help them take care of their kids, laugh with them, and lift them up in prayer.  I want to be by their side when they are hurting, and at their kids' birthday parties.  It is so meaningful to not only have the support system in place for myself, but to actually be that person for someone else!  I've been that person for people in the past, sure - - but never in the context of community like I've felt this past year.  It is for this reason that I am so grateful for these lessons that the Lord has taught me this year.

To those of you through whom God has taught me these lessons this year, thank you from the bottom of my heart!  Thank you for being my truest friends, and for sticking by me closer than a brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment