Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting


We celebrated my hubby's birthday last night!!  I am so excited that he's turning 25 (and even more excited that I'm not the one turning 25 yet).  I've known my love since freshman year of college when he was 17, we've been best friends since December of that same year, and we've been dating since he was almost 19.  I married him when he was 21 and to celebrate his 25th with him is an extra special gift.  He wanted chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  Although that's not what I would have chosen, - - when it comes to cake, I'm a vanilla girl - - he gets whatever he wants today!!

Here's the recipe.  I got it from a friend who got it from her mother-in-law.  I don't know where she got it, so if it's yours, let me know and I'll credit you!  It's called Black Magic Cake, and I have to say it's delicious!!  Usually it goes with a peanut butter frosting that is to die for, but hubby wanted chocolate!

Ingredients You'll Need:
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 Tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda


**Preheat oven to 350°F (I always forget to do this before I start baking...)

Step One: Combine first 8 ingredients

Pour into a bowl the first 8 ingredients above (1 cup sugar through 1 teaspoon vanilla).  No need to mix them yet.

Step Two: Dissolve 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 cup boiling water

Do just that - - I put the baking soda in the measuring cup and then add the water and stir a bit.  It should dissolve itself for the most part.

Step Three: Mix together all ingredients

Pour the water mixture over the rest of the ingredients in the bowl, then beat the mixture until smooth.  The batter will be very runny!

Step Four: Pour into greased pan and bake

Remember, the batter will be very runny.  That's how it's supposed to be, don't worry!  Grease an 8X8 pan and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.  I had to put mine in for an extra 3 minutes.  Use a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean, you're all set!

When it comes out, it should look like this:
 
Step Five: Let cool

Let the cake cool for at least one hour before frosting.  Put it on a wire rack so it really cools all the way through.  If you skip this step or try to rush it, the frosting will run off.

Step Six: Frost
 

Use a knife (or, if you're super-crafty, a pastry squeezy thing) and frost that baby with your favorite frosting.  I used a homemade frosting.

Step Seven: Decorate!
 
I used M&Ms to cover the cake, starting with the sides.
 
 
The top didn't come out exactly like I imagined it, but it still wowed my hubby!  I guess that's what I was going for all along :)
 
Step Eight: Hide it!
 
Tip: a great place to hide things from your hubby: in the oven!

Step Nine: Enjoy!!
I think this was the Love Bug's first taste of cake!  He finished his first (big surprise).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment