Thursday, March 13, 2014

10 Reasons why I love NOT Owning a House


Sometimes it's hard looking into the future and not knowing when we'll be able to buy a house.  So it helps to look at all the things we love about renting, and to enjoy it while we can!  Because once we buy a house, none of these things will ring true - - probably ever again!

#1 - I feel safe
When I hear the neighbors next door, it makes me feel safe knowing that someone is there.  If I screamed, they'd hear.  When I hear a noise in the apartment, I can convince myself that it was the neighbors and not get freaked out.

#2 - It's less work
When something breaks, we don't have to fix it!  One call to maintenance and they're here unplugging the toilet, replacing the window lock, putting new batteries in the smoke detector (yes, I've called them to do this), or even installing our window air conditioner (all things we've actually had them do within the past year)!

#3 - It's less expensive
When something breaks, we don't have to pay for it (unless we broke it because of misuse, of course).

#4 - It's less expensive
We don't pay property taxes.

#5 - Did I mention it's less expensive??
Rent is significantly cheaper than a mortgage - - AND we're not in debt because of a house!  We're not paying interest each month, we're just paying to live here.

#6 - It forces us to simplify
Because we don't have much storage space, we don't have much stuff!  When we don't have room for something in the storage area, we have to get rid of something.  And I love it when that happens - - because it makes us think about how we might be able to bless someone even when we don't have much ourselves!  Baby clothes, furniture, DVDs, and games are all something that other people might be able to use that we just don't have the space for.

#7 - It's easier to clean
Smaller space means less time cleaning!  AND I don't have to worry about cleaning/painting the outside of our home, because that's done for us!

#8 - It's more sociable
When I go to get the mail, I run into my neighbors because we share a mailbox.  When my son plays in the back yard, he makes friends because we share a backyard with our neighbors.  It's much easier to get to know each other than if we had our own house.

#9 - There are rules
I know this may seem like a reason to want a house, and sometimes it is - - but I think that the rules put in place can actually be beneficial for our family.  For example, there's a no smoking in the apartments rule.  Now, we're not smokers - - and we don't plan to be.  But even if we wanted to, we'd have to take it outside.  In the dead of winter?  No thanks!  There's also a no pets rule.  By now we would have adopted a dog.  Trust me - - we don't need a dog right now.  Thank you, rules!

#10 - It will make me appreciate having a house even more when we get there
Right now is not the right time for us to own a house.  And that's okay!  The time we spend renting is preparing us for what's ahead.  I'm glad we are where we are right now, and I'm glad we're headed where we're headed!

No comments:

Post a Comment