Monday, September 16, 2013

Waiting


I heard a statistic a long time ago about how long the average person spends in their life waiting for something.  If you Google it, you'll get all kinds of different answers.  Ask.com said that the average person spends 2 weeks waiting at red lights... then if you scroll down you'll see they also say 8 years for the same statistic.  Who knows?  All I know is it's a long time.

AnYwAyS... when I first heard whichever statistic I heard, I made a decision that I would never waste time waiting for something again.  I would always have something to do while I wait, whether it be homework (at the time I was in high school), memorizing scripture, ding a Sudoku puzzle... anything other than sitting around and waiting.

And yet here I sit, ten years later... waiting... for hubby to get home, for another life on Candy Crush, for the baby to come, for some clarity as to what I am to do with my life, for the baby to kick so I know that everything is still okay...

But perhaps waiting isn't the worst thing in the world?  Maybe it's while I wait that I have the time to relax, and start to hear the voice of God more clearly?  Maybe what I am willing to wait for says something about who I am.  Maybe waiting helps me to trust in God in a whole new way.

So I'll wait.  Maybe it won't always be patiently, but I will know that as I wait the Lord is working in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment