Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Things I Do & Don't Do

At a MOPS meeting recently, a friend mentioned something she had learned once from a speaker: Make a list of things you do and things you don't do.


I love this idea!  There are so many things that I try to do because I feel pressured to do them - - whether it's pressure from myself, my friends, Pinterest, Facebook, whatever!  But the things I do because I feel pressured to do them get in the way of the things that I want to do that I'm actually good at and want to make a priority!  So here's my list - - or at least a preliminary list.  The things in red are things I am trying to do (or not to do) - - goals.  :)

It is a priority of mine to support and respect my husband.
  • I make his lunch whenever I can
  • I ask him about his day
  • I pray for him throughout the day
  • I touch him, and let him touch me
  • I look my best when he walks in the door
  • I greet him with a smile
...so:
  • I don't play with the kids 30 minutes before hubby gets home, to give myself time to get ready for him
  • I don't wear provocative clothing (in public), to respect the fact that I am his and his alone
  • I don't always clean the dishes after dinner, to make time for us and to have energy for him
It is a priority of mine to be the best mother I can be.
  • I make homemade dinners at least 4 times a week
  • I teach my kids to pray before meals and before bed
  • I pray for my kids and my husband
  • I get up when my kids get up
  • I keep the house manageably clean
  • I prioritize Fridays as family days
  • I don't fight with my husband in front of the kids
...so:
  • I don't make homemade bread, because I've tried and I'm bad at it
  • I don't breastfeed (anymore), because I was giving my boys the worst of myself when I felt tied down with breastfeeding
  • I don't swear, because I don't want my boys to
  • I don't let just anyone watch my boys, because not everyone has the same values that I do
  • I don't listen to whining, because I want my boys to know how to communicate effectively
{This list could be longer - - of things I do and things I don't do - - but I'll stop there, and won't get on my soap box at this time about how I mother my kids.  You're welcome.}

It is a priority of mine to be the best minister I can be.
  • I go in to the church early on Sundays
  • I pray before starting curriculum
  • I work hard on my church duties when I'm at church, and often during nap time at home
  • I make an effort to keep in touch with people from church throughout the week
  • I pray for my volunteers
...so:
  • I don't tell you I'll pray for you when I won't, because prayer is powerful and if you think I'm praying for you it's important that I am
  • I don't stay late on Sundays very often, because everyone deserves to get the very best of me and I've been there since 6:30am
It is a priority of mine to make myself a priority. (Yes, I need to work on this one...)
  • I get the sunlight I need whenever possible
  • I eat at least two meals a day
  • I connect with my accountability partner weekly
  • I buy myself clothes when I need them
  • I rest during nap time
  • I get some sort of salon procedure done once a month (i.e. pedicure, waxing, etc.)
  • I eat as much chocolate as I want
  • I exercise
  • I get fresh air
  • I spend time alone or with friends, out of the house and away from the kids
  • I keep myself clean (spit-up, drool, poop, etc. doesn't stay on me)
...so:
  • I don't do most crafts I find on Pinterest, because they frustrate me and take up all my alone time
  • I don't do any housework (except laundry) during nap time, to give myself time to relax
  • I don't run very many errands with the boys, because it exhausts me and so I have things to do outside the house after hubby gets home
That's all I can think of right now!  These ideas have been brewing in my head for a while now, so it's nice to get them down on "paper."  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment