Thursday, April 17, 2014

Hardest Job in the World??


There was a video that went viral the other day about the job of a mother - - and how it's the hardest job in the world.  It was a cool video, actually.  Very clever.  But it has sparked a lot of conversation about whether or not mothering truly is the hardest job in the world?

I've actually been thinking about this question for a while now - - a friend of mine had posted an article on Facebook that questioned this thesis that being a stay-at-home parent is not actually the hardest job in the world.  I didn't read the article, but I read some of my friends' responses to this post, and was quite insulted by what some people had to say about what I do.

Here's the thing: Of course mothering is not the hardest job in the world!  Duh!  There are people in the bonds of slavery in our own country.  There are children working for pennies a day.  I have it much better than a lot of people.  But I think what people are trying to say when they state that parenthood is the hardest job in the world is that it's harder than you might think.

There are so many rewards to mothering, and I don't think anyone would argue with that.  I don't think I have to even mention how it feels when my son calls me "mama" or when he walked for the first time, or the joys of teaching them about Jesus.  Being a mother is so very rewarding, and it's the highest calling I have.  But the rewards don't take away from how difficult my job is.

What makes mothering hard is that people constantly need me.  There is very little time to care for myself, because I'm caring for my adorable little redheads.

What makes mothering hard is the physical reaction that only I have to my kids.  There are mothers who breastfeed until their nipples bleed (admittedly, not I!).  When my kids cry, it physically hurts me.  I delivered these children, and my body will never be the same.  It still is painful to do some simple things.  Postpartum depression sets in and I'm gone for the day.  Stay-at-home dads can't even relate to that.

What makes mothering hard is the sleepless nights.  Last night my OLDEST son was up at least once every hour.  When he's not up, the Peanut is up.  When they're both sleeping, I can't because I'm waiting to hear one of them cry, or worrying about how to pay for college.

What makes mothering hard is the tremendous pressure I am under.  There are pressures to choose the right foods, discipline techniques, schools, toys, books.  Pressures to raise my boys, keep them alive, teach them to love Jesus, and help them become the men they are supposed to grow into.  I can't imagine a pressure higher than that.

I love being a mother, and I am rewarded {almost} every day by my kids.  But don't ever discount what I do, and don't pretend that you have any idea about how easy or hard my job is.  If you do, just know that I'm sleep deprived and could at any moment burst into tears or slap you across the face.  Because I'm a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment